I decided on a whim yesterday that I wanted to make a great Fall soup to share with you all, so of course, I called my Mama for a recipe. This Meatball Tortellini Soup is so easy and super delicious! She’s made it for me before, but I forgot how good it was. Even my two-year-old nephew loved it!
It got pretty chilly here in Texas for a few days this week, though it seems we’re back in the 80’s again. We can still pretend it’s Fall right? This soup (especially in those cute bowls) tricked me into believing we’re having Autumn weather down here. I’ll probably make it again soon when it cools down because it’s such a cozy, comforting meal. It only took about 45 minutes altogether, and the majority of the time it was simply simmering on the stove while I worked and watched the baby. The longer you let it simmer, the yummier it is.
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 30 minutes Total: 45 minutes Yield: 6-8 servings
- 6-8 cups of chicken broth
- 12-ounce bag of frozen meatballs
- 1 bundle of kale (approximately 3 cups, chopped)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (Italian style if you can find it)
- 2 cans of navy beans, rinsed
- 9-12 ounces of cheese tortellini
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of your choosing (we used parmesan and monterey)
- Bring chicken broth to a light boil and add all ingredients, except the tortellini and the cheese.
- Bring to a full boil, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and bring to a boil once more until the pasta is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves add the fresh cheese. Stir until well-mixed and serve with fresh bread/garlic bread.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I know my family did. If you make this soup, tag me and my Mama on Instagram. She’ll get a kick out of that! Show my Mama some love on Instagram while you’re at it! She’s an amazing hairdresser and runs her own business through a salon in Austin, Tx. She was a nurse throughout my childhood and decided a few years ago that she wanted to pursue her dream of styling hair and went back to school! She’s so inspiring, and just a wonderful person in general!
Leave a comment below letting me know how your soup turned out. Happy November everyone!