While writing our weekly meal plan last Saturday, I searched all over the internet for a recipe that centered around asparagus. Most of the ones I found seemed more like side dishes, until I ran across this recipe by Dana at The Minimalist Baker. Finally, an asparagus dish that seemed filling and delicious!
I made a few changes since we’re not fully vegan and I wanted a little more to it, but I got the idea from Dana. It was fairly easy to make and delicious, so I wanted to share it with you!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 Cups of Bowtie Pasta
- 1 Bundle of Asparagus, Washed and Trimmed (16-20 spears)
- 1 Cup of Brussels Sprouts, Cut into Halves or Quarters
- 2 Lemons
- 5 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1/3 Onion, Diced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, Chopped
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 3-5 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan
- 2 Cups Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth (Learn how to make your own here!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Olive Oil
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Toss the asparagus and brussels sprouts in olive oil and lay them out on a baking sheet lined with foil. Cut the lemon and top the asparagus with the slices. Cook for 20-24 minutes.
2. While your asparagus cooks, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta as directed on the package.
3. To make the sauce, bring a large skillet to medium heat. Add some olive oil, chopped mushrooms, and onion. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until it starts to brown, then add the fresh minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk continuously for about 30 seconds, then add the vegetable broth and almond milk a little at a time and stir until the sauce begins to boil and thickens. Add the cream cheese, parmesan, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and stir until it’s all melted in. Once it has reached your desired thickness, squeeze the juice from half of a lemon and mix it in.
4. Strain the pasta and add it back to the pot or a large bowl. Chop some of the asparagus into small pieces (I chopped mine into fourths) and add it to the pasta, leaving the rest of the asparagus to top your dishes with. Add half of the brussels sprouts and the sauce to the pasta as well and stir together. Top with remaining asparagus, brussels sprouts and lemon slices and serve immediately.
Yum!! Hope you enjoy! If you try this recipe out, remember to tag me on Instagram @mymomtasticlife so I can see!